Wednesday 24 September 2014

#15 Back in time.

So the last blog I wrote was just before Glastonbury....so yeah....it's pretty fair to say that i'm finding it difficult to write these regularly! Anyway almost everyone of these blogs start with an apology for being so slack and an explanation (excuse) as to why. I'm not going to do that this time though. For those that would like that, read the first paragraph of #14. :-)

So Glastonbury was awesome again. Not as much as last year (meeting Lucy Rose, Matt Corby plus more was going to be hard to top) but still great. The gig was very nice too despite being a clash heavy slot. Since then it's pretty much just been work and the EP.

That's a bit of a lie actually. Throughout August I was Marvin Berry........well, kinda. For those of you that were unaware there was a big Back to the Future event held by Secret Cinema in London during August.
My friend Bobby had been asked to play Marvin Berry for these events. There was a few dates he couldn't do though so he rang me to ask if I wanted to cover him for those dates. My knee-jerk reaction (in my mind) was "I can't fill your shoes! Are you crazy!?". You see, Bobby is a bit of a legend. His originals band are called the "Yes Rebels" and they are so good it's actually disgusting (Check out the video below). :-) Awesome vocals, phat riffs, great songs. He's also the front man in a covers band called the 45's. A cover band for people that don't like cover bands. Think classic Motown, Soul, 50's/60's era music played in the style of the White Stripes or Royal Blood (again totally awesome). Needless to say you have to have a certain amount of charisma to front bands such as these and Bobby has got plenty of it. I've been in rock bands before but usually as the lead guitarist, not the front man. These days I sit down at gigs with an acoustic guitar and play "nice" music. ;-) So the thought of standing in front of 4000ish people and commanding their attention with a style of music that I've never tried singing before was quite frankly terrifying.

Despite all this flying through my mind in the 3 seconds after he had asked me, my mouth opened and I said "Yeah, why not eh?". I figured that either way i'd find out what my limitations were and that in this case it'd be better to try and fail than to write it off without even giving it a shot. And boy am I glad I did! The 1st show was a whole new level of nerves that I've not ever experienced before. This was due largely to the fact that i'd not had a single rehearsal with the band. We got through it although I was far from happy with my performance. The next date was better again, but it was the 3rd when everything went perfectly. There was a great atmosphere in the air that night. The crowd were all really up for it and singing along to all the classics (Earth Angel especially), but when I played the first two notes of Johnny B Goode, the roof just tore off. It was a great feeling to play a rocky gig with such a great crowd. So in short, I can just about get away with fronting a 1950's rock and roll band..........good to know. ;-)

The whole experience was something that I'll look back on in years to come with very fond memories. I met a great bunch of of very talented people and I'm extremely honoured to have been part of something of that scale.

So in other news, WE HAVE A RELEASE DATE FOR THE EP! "Battles" shall be available on digital and physical formats on OCTOBER 6th! Whammy! I'll talk more about that next time though, until then it's ciao for now. :-)

Laters

Aaron

Ladies & gentlemen.....the Yes Rebels. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment